Inscribed on the reverse in Devanagari 'sri nripati vikramaditya samvata 1865 shastra samvata 84 re bhadro pravishtey 1 sri krisna janmashtami vratotsava kita sri maharaje ishwari sene ji chitere sajnu...
'sri nripati vikramaditya samvata 1865 shastra samvata 84 re bhadro pravishtey 1 sri krisna janmashtami vratotsava kita sri maharaje ishwari sene ji chitere sajnu ki farmaya tis mafak likheya ji daroga upadha janaki das sabha re bhale manasa re naye age vakha likhe ji'
'The painting was commissioned by Raja Ishwari Sen to Sajnu on the first day of the month of Bhadra [August-September] in the year 1865 [Gregorian1808 AD] when Janmashtami celebrations were held. On the behest of Upadhyay Daroga Janaki Das the names of the gentleman present in the assembly were recorded for future reference.'
The central figures in the court scene are identified individually by inscription within the painting. The figures include:
1. Sri Mian Zalim Singh (Brother of Ishwari Sen, Son of Surma Sen. Succeeded Ishwari Sen as the
Raja of Mandi in 1826)
2. Mian Kaleswar (son of Mian Dhur Jatiya. Dhur Jatiya was the brother of Raja Shamsher Sen
and the grandson of Raja Siddha Sen)
3. Marhana Isara
4. Pathania Jhagdu
5. Upadhyay Janaki Das (A Chief Officer in Ishwari Sen’s court, also mentioned on the verso)
6. Kayastha Jasa
7. Mian Samantra (son of Mian Agar Dat Singh. Agar Dat was the brother of Raja Shamsher Sen
and Mian Dhur Jatiya)
8. Dum Pir Bagas (Percussionist Pir Baksh)
9. Mian Uday Singh (Brother of Zalim and Ishwari Sen, Son of Raja Surma Sen)
10. Vikhya Gur Sahai
11. Mian Arjuna (Brother of Mian Samantra, son of Mian Agar Dat Singh)